It may seem hard to believe, but we are rapidly approaching the TENTH anniversary of Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan and Iraq. It is now more important than ever to offer whatever support we can to our friends, relatives, and loved ones who are making the sacrifice to protect our country’s interests abroad—and what better way to remind them that their efforts are appreciated than to send them a care package? Items such as candies, snacks, magazines can help make their time over there at least a little more comfortable; as can hygiene items like mouthwash, cleaning wipes, and lotion. And the USPS offers flat-rate shipping to APO/FPO destinations for really low rates!
To ensure that cards and packages reach your loved one or friend as quickly as possible, please be sure to:
- Use the service member’s full name, with or without rank or title.
- Unit designation
- APO/FPO with 9 Digit Zip Code
- DO NOT include the country or the base camp’s city.
- Include your return address.
- For parcels: only print on ONE side of the package and put the destination address in the lower right hand corner of the package.
Each country has its own specific restrictions and regulations on items in incoming mail and packages, and each 5-digit military post adheres to these restrictions and may also have additional rules of its own. To find out if you can send what you want to, just call Goin’ Postal Tallahassee at (850)668-1840 or look up restrictions to APO/FPO addresses online at http://www.usps.com/cpim/ftp/bulletin/2003/html/pb22101/apofpo.html
In general, the following items may NOT be mailed to APO/FPO addresses:
- Anti-Islamic or religious materials contrary to the principles of Islam for distribution to others (those for personal use only are usually allowed)
- Coffee, cigarettes, and tobacco
- Pork or pork by-products
- Fruits, alcoholic beverages, materials used in the production of alcohol (yeast, hops, malt, etc.)
- Any materials or items of a pornographic, sexually explicit or graphic nature (including magazines, photographs, videotapes, CDs, DVDs, paintings, playing cards, greeting cards, pens, etc.)
- Any unauthorized political materials
Special Note: Some Muslim countries may have laws against displaying Christian symbols. Please keep that in mind when sending cards, packages, and letters. You’ll want to use envelopes and boxes that don’t bear Christmas decorations on them since customs may refuse to allow them to enter those countries.
This information has been provided by Goin’ Postal Tallahassee as a public service.
Goin’ Postal Tallahassee offers a variety of services from stamps sold at face value to mailing and shipping via the United States Postal Service, FedEx, DHL, UPS, freight and other carriers, as well as packing and shipping supplies, eBay services, copying, faxing, notary services, low-cost mailbox rentals, and much more. Visit us at 3491 Thomasville Road in Tallahassee, call us at (850)668-1840, or visit us on the web at www.goinpostaltallahassee.com